Liposuction is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures. This surgical procedure is designed to remove unwanted, stubborn fat, tighten loose skin and improve body contour.
Consult an Experienced Plastic Surgeon
If you are considering liposuction, you first need to find a plastic surgeon who is experienced in performing the procedure. The surgeon will first evaluate your health status to determine if you are a good candidate for the treatment. You might be a good candidate for liposuction if:
- You are not under any medication
- You are not allergic
- You are not suffering from heart problems or diabetes
- You have no marked variation in blood pressure
Things to Ask Your Surgeon
A good surgeon will be able to answer all your queries about the procedure, tell you what to expect during and after liposuction, including risks and complications. Make sure you are well-informed about liposuction before you decide to go in for it. Here are some things you should do:
- Ask your surgeon about the procedure, the pros and cons, and the results that can be expected. You may even ask for written information if necessary. Remember that it is important to have realistic expectations.
- You may ask for the before and after pictures of patients of this surgeon. This will help you get an idea of what to expect and of the surgeon’s expertise. Do not expect cookie-cutter results.
- Discuss any medical condition you have with your surgeon.
- You may ask about the surgeon’s qualifications and experience.
Once you get satisfactory answers to all your questions, you can make an informed decision about whether or not to have the surgery. Do your research well. There are many reliable websites, including government websites, providing extensive information on liposuction.
The Liposuction Procedure
- The treatment area is marked with a pen
- Anesthesia is administered. Minimally invasive laser liposuction involves only local anesthesia
- The surgeon makes a tiny incision on the skin
- A solution with epinephrine (to prevent excess bleeding) is first injected into the areas from where fat is to be removed
- A small cannula is inserted into the skin and moved back and forth to suction out the fat. SmartLipo Triplex is an FDA-approved laser assisted device using three wavelengths – 1064 nm, 1320 nm and 1440 nm. The laser energy melts fat, tightens the skin and stimulates the growth of new collagen.
Some may be advised to have a hospital stay. It depends upon the volume of fat that has been removed and fatigue that may affect some candidates. You have to take surgeon’s advice on when and how you can resume normal activities. There will be antibiotics to have for some days.
Minimal pain and swelling after the surgery is common. You should discuss any discomfort you feel after the surgery with the surgeon. You will need to wear a skin compression garment. In some cases, the surgeon will advise a hospital stay. In any case, it is important to have someone drive you home. Following the doctor’s instructions will speed up healing and recovery. Your improved body contour can be maintained only by following a proper diet and exercise regimen.
As liposuction is not without risks, make sure you find a well trained and experienced plastic surgeon. Expert can deal with any possible risks. Having your treatment at an AAAASF accredited center would ensure safe and standardized procedures in a comfortable environment.