Gynecomastia or abnormal enlargement of breast tissue occurs due to factors such as hormonal imbalance, genetic traits, and obesity. The condition can impair a man’s confidence and affect his quality of life. Fortunately, today, expert NYC plastic surgeons offer safe and effective treatment for this common concern using advanced techniques. Gynecomastia surgery in NYC, performed using the minimally invasive Smartlipo Triplex laser-assisted device, removes the excess fat and tissue in the male chest and creates a well-contoured, manly physique. The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia, and involves little surgical trauma and downtime. However, as with any surgical procedure, proper pre- and post-op care is very important for smooth recovery.
- The mandatory pre-operative mandated tests and physical exam should be completed.
- Remove body hair around the chest and under-arms completely two-six weeks prior to the procedure.
- Avoid sun tanning starting 2 weeks prior to surgery as doing so may increase the risk of permanent scarring.
- Avoid smoking and use of nicotine for at least four weeks before the treatment.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for at least one week prior to surgery.
- Avoid herbal supplements and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Inform your surgeon about any medications used for two weeks before the surgery so that you can get advice on what and what not to take.
- Depending upon the type of your job, plan to take one or two weeks off after the treatment.
- Get the things you would need following the procedure in advance and keep everything handy.
- Buy the recommended compression garment that you would need to wear after the procedure.
On the day of the procedure:
- Do not eat/drink 6 hours before surgery.
- Do not apply any lotions, moisturizers and deodorants.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Make sure to have a responsible person accompany you.
After the Procedure:
- Avoid driving for the first 24 hours; routine activity can be resumed after 48 hours and light exercising after one week or when you feel comfortable.
- Light walking may be recommended to reduce swelling and lower the chances of blood clotting.
- Wear the recommended compression garment for a month to improve blood circulation, minimize swelling, flush out of harmful fluids, and speed the healing process.
- Avoid heavy activities such as lifting weights or those involving physical or mental stress, especially during the first two weeks after surgery.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol for a few more weeks post-op because it might prolong healing time and can increase risk of complications.
- Drink plenty of water and get enough rest.
- Take the prescribed pain medications, but do not use aspirin-containing products for at least one week.
- Sleeping on your stomach is should be avoided for at least three weeks. The surgical incisions should not be subjected to excessive force, swelling, abrasion or motion during the time of healing.
- Avoid exposing the scars to sun for at least 12 months.
- Keep the incisions clean and inspect daily for signs of infection. If you notice anything abnormal, inform your surgeon.
- In case of any discomfort such as shortness of breath, chest pains or an unusual heartbeat, seek medical attention immediately.
There will be an immediate visible improvement in the shape and appearance of the chest after the surgery and total recovery time expected for gynecomastia surgery is 4-6 weeks. However, recovery time would vary from patient to patient depending on individual considerations. Most patients feel ready to return to work a few days after male breast reduction, depending on the nature of their work. Following your physician’s instructions is essential to the success of your surgery. Moreover, liposuction breast reduction results are generally permanent, but a healthy lifestyle is necessary to maintain the improved chest contour.
Laser liposuction breast reduction is an effective solution for gynecomastia. Small to moderate degree of enlargement can be effectively addressed using this modality. However, you need to meet certain criteria to be a good candidate for the treatment. For safe and effective gynecomastia treatment, choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice offering Smartlipo in NYC. Such practices have plastic surgeons who are experts in performing the procedure. Following your surgeon’s pre- and post-surgical instructions will help prepare your body for the surgery and promote quicker healing after the treatment.