Factors like aging, genetics, hormonal imbalances, pregnancy, weight gain and poor diet can contribute to a “belly pooch” or a protruding tummy. Excess fat in the abdominal area that doesn’t resolve even with strenuous exercise and diets is a common aesthetic concern among both men and women. Abdominal liposuction in Manhattan has emerged as a perfect option to address this concern. The procedure removes unwanted fat and skin around the abdominal area to provide a slimmer, well-shaped midsection. However, recovery time is a concern among most patients. So, how long does it take to recover from abdominal liposuction?
Reputable plastic surgery practices offer abdominal laser liposuction in Manhattan, NYC using the minimally-invasive, laser-assisted Smartlipo Triplex lipolysis workstation. Smartlipo liquefies the fat cells and tightens the skin safely and effectively. As the procedure is minimally invasive, time for recovery is much shorter than with traditional liposuction surgery. Most patients return home the same day and get back to their normal activities in 24-48 hours.
However, recovery will differ from case to case depending on individual considerations. A proactive approach can speed recovery. Healing and outcomes depend to a great extent on how you manage the post-op phase. To promote healing, plastic surgeons generally advise patients to take complete rest for the first two or three days. Here are valuable tips that can help you heal and recover smoothly after abdominal liposuction surgery:
- Wear the compression garment as advised to reduce bleeding and swelling. Your surgeon may suggest wearing the compression garment 24×7 for the first 3 weeks post-op and after that, at night for another 3 weeks. The garment will support the tissues, improve drainage, ease discomfort, minimize the risk of seroma and promote faster recovery.
- Sleep on your stomach till the time advised by your surgeon.
- Take the pain medications as instructed to reduce any pain and discomfort.
- Avoid blood thinning drugs or medications.
- Eat a well-balanced, healthy diet. Generally, experts recommend a protein-rich diet as it will provide extra nourishment to promote faster tissue healing and quicker recovery.
- Limit intake of salt, sugar, and saturated fats as they can interfere with blood flow and impair the healing process.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water will help healing and also help control hunger, preserve a healthy metabolism, and help digestion.
- Light walking is recommended to promote blood flow and prevent blood clots from developing.
- Avoid vigorous exercise or strenuous activity for at least three to four weeks following the surgery. Make sure to follow your plastic surgeon’s advice regarding exercise.
- Keep the incisions dry and clean to reduce the risk of infections.
- Avoid swimming or taking shower during the full duration of recovery.
- Quit smoking and alcohol consumption two weeks before and after surgery as it can impair healing and increase the risk of complications.
- Keep your follow-up appointments to ensure that your recovery is progressing smoothly.
- If you notice any unusual signs of infection during the recovery period, contact your plastic surgeon immediately.
Usually, the final results of abdomen liposuction in Manhattan are visible within six months or after the body has completely healed. As results may vary based on individual considerations and factors like age of the patient and location and amount of fat removed, patients should have realistic expectations about the outcome. As weight gain can affect the results, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Along with patients following their surgeon’s instructions, a surgeon’s experience and skill are important factors impacting the success of the procedure and recovery. So if you are planning to get abdominal laser liposuction surgery in Manhttan, NYC, find a reliable AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility that has plastic surgeons with extensive experience in performing the procedure.