Liposuction in New York City is the gold standard for removing excess fat from various areas of body that is resistant to diet and exercise. An increasing number of men and women are opting to have this body contouring procedure to shape and tone their physique. Skilled NYC plastic surgeons use innovative, minimally-invasive laser liposuction technology to remove stubborn fat from various areas and sculpt the body. Body contouring procedures performed using Smartlipo laser lipo will help you to achieve a toned, well-shaped body with little downtime and minimal side effects. However, regardless of whether traditional or minimally-invasive body sculpting techniques are used, maintaining a healthy lifestyle post-op is crucial. In fact, following your surgeon’s dietary recommendations is very important to maintain the results of your liposuction treatment.
Liposuction is not a weight procedure or a tool to obesity, but it does remove fat cells permanently from a targeted area of the body. If you gain a small amount of weight after the procedure, the fat cells throughout the body will get a little bigger. While this slight weight gain can affect the actual results, the overall improved body shape achieved through the procedure will remain as the treated areas have only less fat cells. However, to stay in the shape after the treatment, you need to maintain a stable weight by eating right and exercising regularly.
Following diet recommendations will encourage healing and also prevent excessive fat gain that could negatively impact the new look you achieved with liposuction. As a general rule, your post-lipo diet should include a sufficient amount of minerals, nutrients, and energy-inducing foods, which will accelerate the healing process and help the body recover its strength naturally. A balanced diet will prevent the weight gain that occurs with unhealthy eating habits. Here are some of the foods that should be added and avoided in your diet post lipolysis (livestrong.com):
- Avoid a diet that is high in saturated fat, especially soon after the procedure. Large amounts of this type of fat is commonly found in fast food, fried foods, baked goods, fatty meats and full-fat dairy products.
- Incorporate lot of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat sources of protein such as lean meats, fish and legumes, to promote healing and to maintain your new look.
- Avoid processed foods, which contain unhealthy Trans fats.
- Avoid salty foods for at least 2 to 4 months post-liposuction. High levels of sodium can increase inflammation and slow the healing process. So stick to a low sodium diet. Incorporate herbs and spices such as garlic cloves, cinnamon, dried basil, oregano and parsley in your food.
- Eating several smaller meals throughout the day will help maintain your energy levels and keep you from feeling deprived between meals.
- Limit or restrict consumption of sugary foods as it can lead to weight gain during the healing process. Most sugary foods are low in vitamins and nutrition and do not offer healing benefits.
- It is advisable to avoid dehydrated foods and dried fruit which may cause constipation and a heavy feeling.
- Refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages, including beer, wine and liquor, for 24 hours after your liposuction treatment. In fact, many experts advise avoiding alcohol for at least a week. Alcohol can interfere with the effects of some medications, cause health issues, and delay healing. Prescription medications can negatively interact with alcoholic beverages and it’s crucial that you follow your surgeon’s advice on when you can consume alcohol.
- Drinking lots of water and natural juices will help avoid dehydration, improve digestion, and control hunger. It will also help maintain a healthy metabolism.
The body may feel depleted after any surgery including NYC liposuction and crave food, though the effects of surgery may vary with different body types. Some patients report loss of appetite after surgery possibly due to lack of physical activity. What you should do is eat wisely in accordance with the instructions given by your plastic surgeon. This will help prevent unwanted weight gain that can affect your results.
If you are considering liposuction in New York City, choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility that offers the services of experienced and skilled plastic surgeons. Planning ahead for the post-operative period can help you easily overcome any discomfort associated with the procedure.