Liposuction is a popular cosmetic surgical procedure among men and women seeking to resolve unwanted fat that is resistant to diet and exercise. According to the latest reports from the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), liposuction was the second most popular procedure worldwide last year.
Prospective lipo patients ask a lot of questions and it is found that one of their main concerns is regarding scars. Yes, it is quite normal for a person to have scars following liposuction treatment even when a minimally-invasive laser-assisted technique such as Smartlipo Triplex is used. However, the appearance and intensity of scaring is minimal when compared to traditional liposuction.
Scars from this body contouring procedure will fade over time. Reputable liposuction surgeons with years of experience in handling Smartlipo procedures say that the way scars heal depend on factors such as individual healing speed as well as the technique used by the surgeon. You may have very little control over how you heal, but having the procedure performed by a skilled surgeon can make a significant difference.
A skilled surgeon will make special efforts to hide the incisions and minimize scarring:
- The incisions will be placed in naturally occurring places to hide them such as the belly button or low in the hairline
- The incisions will be small as possible and made using a needle instead of a scalpel blade so that there will only be a small, circular puncture rather than a line.Circular incisions tend to heal with a smaller overall length and still can accommodate the instruments used for the procedure.
- Also, the incisions would be closed with fine sutures to minimize scarring.
- The procedure would be done as gently as possible in order to reduce trauma at the incision site which will promote better healing.
- Skin type can be challenging. Dark skin is more prone to keloid scars and discoloration is easily noticeable. A skilled surgeon will ensure that the incisions are small and well concealed.
How you take care of the area during the recovery phase also matters to minimize the effects of scars after laser liposuction. Take necessary precautions to prevent infection on the site and see that it is kept clean. Compression garments are generally recommended to minimize inflammation and prevent resultant scarring. It’s also important to stay out of the sun.