NYC plastic surgery practices provide customized liposuction procedures for men and women. The treatment addresses fat deposits that do not respond to diet and exercise and helps patients achieve a trimmer, well-shaped physique. Traditional liposuction involves surgery, while Smartlipo laser liposuction is minimally invasive as it uses a small laser-assisted cannula to target the fat.
Here are the basic differences between these two modalities:
- Traditional liposuction is performed under general anesthesia and you will be asleep during the procedure. Smartlipo can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure and you would be wide awake during the treatment.
- Conventional surgery requires large incisions to insert a larger cannula whereas the minimally-invasive method involves only small incisions to insert a tiny cannula.
- The conventional method can treat large areas of the body such as the abdomen, buttocks, back, legs and arms. Though Smartlipo also works for large areas, its smaller cannula and smaller incisions makes it ideal for treating the neck, jawline, underneath the chin, arms, “love handles” around the waist, saddlebags, knees and male breast.
- Following traditional surgery, noticeable improvement is usually seen in about 3-9 months time and final results after one year. In laser lipo, initial outcomes are visible in about 1-3 months, while final results are seen at 6 months.
- Downtime is quite lengthy for the invasive option and can extend from days to weeks. In most cases, minimally-invasive lipo would involve downtime of just 1-2 days.
- Extensive deep tissue bruising that lasts weeks and even months can be expected for traditional lipo whereas Smartlipo involves minimal bruising which typically resolves in 2-3 weeks.
- The conventional method can address large volumes of deep tissue fat effectively while Smartlipo works well for those who are within 20lbs of their ideal body weight.
- The recovery phase is important for both procedures. Wearing a compression garment for up to 6 months is necessary for traditional lipo, while it is typically worn for 3-4 weeks post procedure in the case of Smartlipo.
- Traditional liposuction is performed either in a hospital or surgical center and the actual operating time is typically around 1-1.5 hours for both procedures, while laser liposuction can be performed in an “in-office” operating room. However, this can vary with the areas treated and the amount of fat to be removed.
Your liposuction surgeon will evaluate your concerns and recommend the right technique to achieve your goals.