With increasing awareness of the body, people are trying new methods to achieve a more toned and youthful look. Some rely on workouts and different kinds of diets. On the other hand, some find cosmetic procedures such as liposuction a great option for achieving their aesthetic goals. Liposuction is a procedure which removes fat and gives a perfect shape to the body. Manhattan-based liposuction surgeons provide high quality liposuction treatment that significantly enhances your body contour.
However, before going for your initial consultation you should do some preparation and also expect certain things like medical examination during your initial sitting.
Preparation for Initial Consultation
The patient should feel comfortable with his or her surgeon. As an ice breaker between you and your surgeon, and to ensure that the treatment center as well as the surgeon is apt for your requirements, you can prepare some questions related to procedure and the procedure center. This question-answer session will help you to get an idea about the procedure, your surgeon, and the plastic surgery center.
Here are some questions you can ask your consultant during your initial visit:
- Among your liposuction procedures, which procedure meets my requirements?
- What are the steps I should follow to maintain my perfect candidature?
- How is this particular liposuction procedure performed?
- What are the side effects of this procedure? Will there be pain, swelling or bruising on the procedure site?
- Will it require overnight hospital stay?
- When can I resume my normal life after the procedure? How much time will it take for complete recovery?
- Is it an invasive method? What time will it take to remove or dissolve the stitches?
- What about the risk of scars?
- What are the possible complications of the procedure?
- What is the time period for follow-up visit?
- Would you recommend any medication after the procedure?
- What will be the total cost of the procedure?
- How can I inform you if there is any complication after the procedure?
- How many times have you performed liposuction so far?
- Is anesthesia needed for this procedure? If yes, what type of anesthesia?
- How many years of experience do you have in this field? Can you please show me before and after photos of your clients?
You should consider certain factors before you sit in front of the surgeon.
Factors You Should Consider
- If you have unhealthy habits like drinking alcohol or smoking, then it is better to stop it even before your initial consultation and follow a healthy lifestyle. This helps you reduce the possible risks.
- You should prepare yourself for an open talk with the surgeon about any health conditions you may have, and prescribed medications (if you are taking any).
- You should also prepare yourself for an open talk with the surgeon about your concerns.
- You can start exercises and workouts even before your consultation.
Here are some questions you can expect during your initial consultation with your doctor:
- Are you taking any medication?
- Are you following any particular diet or workouts? If yes, how long have you been following that?
- Do you take any particular medicines or supplements for weight loss?
- Have you undergone any liposuction procedure earlier? If you have, when was that?
- Have you any personal responsibilities which could hinder your smooth recovery?
- Do you have any previous critical medical history?
The surgeon will carefully assess your health condition and request certain tests like
- Laboratory and image tests, if you are considering face, neck, abdominal, thigh, or knee liposuction
- Qualitative testing, pinch test and prognostic testing for upper arm liposuction
He would also analyze possible risk factors by evaluating your current health condition, medical history and family health. He might take photographs of the surgical site before doing the procedure. Surgeons may not recommend liposuction or other procedure in every area of your body. Thus, be prepared mentally for negative responses as well.
Be prepared to ask questions to your surgeon if you need any clarity regarding anything. At the same time, you should prepare yourself mentally for questions and tests from the doctor’s side as well. The transparent relationship between the patient and doctor plays an important role for the success of any treatment. Experienced plastic surgeons in New York City can ensure the best results from the aesthetic procedure you choose to undergo.