One of the common areas where fat tends to accumulate fast is the abdomen. Several factors such as heredity, aging, pregnancy, weight gain or hormonal changes, as well as stress causes buildup of tummy fat. It is usually very difficult to address stubborn belly fat with conventional weight loss measures. Stomach liposuction or abdominal liposuction removes subcutaneous fat that lies beneath the skin and on top of the abdominal muscle wall, and simultaneously tightens the overlying skin to provide a tighter, flatter, well-toned tummy.
The procedure is performed using the minimally-invasive Smartlipo Triplex laser lipolysis device. This device utilizes an optimal blend of three laser wavelengths to liquefy the fat cells and tighten the skin simultaneously. The treatment is an ideal option for men who want to achieve a lean, masculine physique when strenuous diet and exercise don’t provide the desired results. In fact, male abdominal liposuction was predicted to be a growing trend in 2018.
With the FDA-approved Smartlipo laser liposuction device, the treatment can be performed as an outpatient procedure and completed in an hour, though this depends on individual considerations. There is less bleeding, swelling and bruising than in traditional liposuction. Patients experience only minimal scarring, pain and discomfort. The procedure is performed using local anesthesia and most patients return home on the same day. It reduces treatment time and patient downtime and offers faster healing and quick recovery. It is possible to speed up the recovery process if the patient takes extra care and follows the surgeon’s instructions diligently.
- Wear the compression garment: Plastic surgeons usually recommend the use of compression garments following liposuction, tummy tuck and breast reduction surgery, and other body contouring procedures. A compression garment is a close fitting elastic garment worn after a surgical procedure to reduce bleeding and swelling. Following stomach liposuction, the surgeon will usually recommend that a compression garment be worn once the bandages in the incision areas have been removed. The apparel will support the tissues, improve drainage and ease discomfort, promoting faster recovery.
The key benefits of using an elastic compression garment after liposuction are:
- Limits the buildup of edema – the watery fluid that can collect in the cavities or tissues of the body. Wearing the garment during the initial recovery phase will help address this concern quicker
- Reduces swelling and bruising that may be caused by walking following liposuction of the lower extremities
- Helps in the retraction and shrinking of loose skin left behind after liposuction
- Promotes fluid drainage and resorption
- Reduces bleeding by applying pressure to the surgical sites
- Supports contour
- Get lymphatic massage: It’s quite usual to experience minor bumps, lumps and swelling in the immediate post-op for a patient. This is because while liposuction removes stubborn fat cells, it may cause some disruption in the lymphatic channels and minor cellular injury, which will cause mild contour irregularity and swelling. This swelling usually improves in a week on its own, but the patient can heal even faster with the help of lymphatic massage. It can help small areas of fibrosis to resolve a bit more quickly, and also boost the patient’s immunity and prevent infection. Massage will typically be performed toward the areas of maximum lymphatic drainage. It is advisable to discuss this option with our surgeon.
- Maintain a healthy diet: It’s important to maintain a healthy diet after abdominal liposuction. Experts recommend a protein-rich diet. Proteins will provide extra nourishment to promote faster tissue healing and quicker recovery. Increase intake of lean proteins in the diet such as seafood, skinless chicken breast, dry beans, peas, nuts, eggs, and seeds. Similarly, choosing a low sodium diet during initial recovery period is also helpful, as high salt intake can interfere with blood flow and impair the healing process. After liposuction, eat a balanced diet and limit consumption of salts, sugars, and saturated fats.
- Exercise: After liposuction, you can engage in light activities or walking when your body can tolerate it. Patients are instructed to refrain from heavy activities such as lifting of heavy weights and vigorous physical exercises for at least three to four weeks following the surgery to ensure smooth recovery. Make sure to follow your surgeon’s advice regarding exercise.
- Hydration: Drinking plenty of water turn aids the body during its healing process. Frequent hydration helps control hunger, preserves a healthy metabolism, and helps digestion.
The success of the abdomen liposuction depends on the factors such as the age, gender, history of weight gain and weight loss, history of pregnancy, and amount and location of abdominal fat. Importantly, the plastic surgeon’s experience and skill are also paramount for a successful procedure. So, if you are looking to have abdominal liposuction in NYC, find a reliable AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility that has plastic surgeons with extensive experience in performing the procedure.