A double chin and drooping jaw line are common cosmetic concerns among women. Aging, heredity, weight gain and environmental and lifestyle factors cause excess fat to accumulate under the chin, sagging jowls. Female chin liposuction can resolve these concerns. Plastic surgeons who perform female chin liposuction provide tailored solutions to meet each patient’s needs.
Here are the answers to frequently asked questions asked about the procedure:
- What is female chin liposuction?Female chin liposuction involves removing excess fat and tightening the skin to result in a sculpted, smooth jaw line and shapely neck. Today, plastic surgeons use advanced minimally-invasive Smartlipo technology to perform the procedure. This safe and effective laser-assisted procedure sculpts the chin and jawline, rejuvenating your appearance with a shorter downtime and faster recovery than conventional liposuction surgery.
- How is the procedure performed?
The FDA-approved Smartlipo Triplex device is specially designed to allow surgeons to remove excess fat from hard-to-treat, delicate areas such as the cheeks and jowls, under the chin, along the jaw line, and neck. The workstation features a small cannula with three laser wavelengths (1064nm, 1320nm and 1440nm) and can provide exceptional fat removal and skin tightening results. The cannula is inserted under the skin via a small incision and laser energy is delivered to precisely target and melts the excess fat so that it can be easily suctioned off. The workstation’s intelligent delivery systems -SmartSense™, ThermaGuide™ and ThermaView™, ensure reliable and controlled energy delivery. The time taken for the treatment would depend on the amount of fat removed.
- Who is a good candidate for chin liposuction?
Women considering double chin liposuction in NYC should be carefully evaluated by their plastic surgeon to ensure that their overall objective of getting a natural, slender and sleek shape to the neck can be achieved. This procedure is a suitable option for women who are healthy with good facial structure and muscles. They should also meet the following criteria:
- Have disproportional areas of localized fat
- Have good skin elasticity
- Be a non-smoker
- Not be substantially overweight
- Are ready to stop drinking alcohol before and after the procedure, as advised
- What are the benefits of Smartlipo for female chin liposuction?
- Minimally invasive procedure with uniform contouring
- Minimal downtime
- Outpatient treatment done under local anesthesia
- Only tiny incisions involved
- Reduced surgical trauma and minimal scarring
- Minimal pain, bleeding and discomfort
- Quick recovery with long-lasting results
- What does recovery involve?
The speed of healing varies from person to person. You may be advised to follow a high protein and low sodium diet to help healing. Gentle massage and wearing a compression garment (chin strap) can also speed up recovery. Final outcomes usually appear three to four months after the procedure.
- Will there be swelling and how long will it last?
Though minimally invasive, laser lipolysis could involve post-operative complications such as bruising and swelling, but these effects are far less than traditional liposuction. Slight drainage from the incisions and some swelling and bruising can be expected during the first 24 hours after chin liposuction, but will subside soon.
- For how long would I need to wear a compression garment post-op?
Wearing the compression garment or chin strap is an important part of the recovery phase. It will minimize swelling and help the soft tissue adjust following liposuction. You should wear it for the time advised by your surgeon.
- What is the best sleeping position after chin liposuction?
Getting quality sleep is vital for smooth recovery, but this might be difficult if you have had liposuction in the chin area. Sleeping in the right position to shield your face and neck is very important. Plastic surgeons’ recommendations on sleeping safely after double chin liposuction in NYC are as follows:
- Sleep with your head elevated on 2 pillows for at least 1-2 weeks after surgery
- Sleep on your back as much as possible for around two weeks – this will give your face and neck sufficient time to recuperate.
- If you want to switch your sides, turn with your whole upper body and avoid turning your head from side to side.
- If you happen to asleep for a short period on your front or side for a short period, it may not affect your final results. But don’t expose one side to more pressure than the other. Try to even out the pressure on both sides.
- How long will it take to see the results?
Results will be visible in a few weeks’ time but the actual time would vary based on individual considerations.
- Are there other minimally-invasive treatments for a double chin?
Available in leading NYC surgical practices, the other reliable options to address submental fat are:
- KYBELLA: KYBELLA injections improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat beneath the chin and results in a well-defined chi and jaw line. In typical cases, a single treatment session requires about 15 minutes. Kybella double chin treatment can provide visible results within 3-4 weeks. For optimal results, up to 6 treatment sessions may be necessary.
- EmbraceRF: EmbraceRF targets the lower third of the face, specifically the neck and jowls. The treatment can address skin laxity in those with or without underlying fat concerns, and morph aging facial features into a more refreshed appearance.
Both these procedures are done using local anesthesia and involve minimal bruising, pain, and downtime.
- What is a chin tuck and how is it different from chin liposuction?
In a chin tuck, excess fat and skin is removed surgically and the wound is closed using sutures to pull the skin tautly across the neck. If a patient has a lot of loose extra skin, a chin tuck may be recommended along with chin liposuction.
AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practices in NYC offering Smartlipo laser liposuction for women provide customized chin contouring solutions. Such practices have expert surgeons who can utilize the capabilities of the Smartlipo workstation to provide attractive outcomes.