Aging, weight gain or hormonal issues can cause excess fat tend to get deposited in different parts of the body, particularly the arms, thighs, abdomen and hips. This fat usually does not respond to even strenuous exercise or diet changes. Liposuction treatment can help you get rid of this stubborn fat and achieve a trim, lean and attractive physique. Liposuction in New York City is an effective and long-lasting solution that removes unwanted fat deposits and results in a trim, attractive physique. Reputable plastic surgery practices based in New York provide liposuction procedures to reshape different areas of the body.
One of the common misconceptions about liposuction procedure is that the procedure ends when a patient leaves the plastic surgeon’s office. However, this is not true. For smooth recovery and optimal outcomes, patients need to be watchful about their diet and exercise, and even take a break from some of their daily habits to recover quickly. Before undergoing liposuction in New York City, it is important for patients to fully understand the dos and don’ts of the procedure –
- Do some research about the procedure – There is a lot to consider or understand before undergoing liposuction or any other cosmetic surgical procedure. Liposuction is a body sculpting procedure designed to target body areas like abdomen, hips, thighs, arms and chest. Educate yourself on what the procedure involves by looking up information from reliable sources. This is not a weight loss procedure and patients need to have realistic expectations about the outcome.
- Choose a reputable plastic surgeon – For safe and effective treatment, it is important to choose an experienced and skilled plastic surgeon to perform the procedure. An expert can provide attractive results by utilizing latest technologies like Smartlipo Triplex. Patients must discuss their individual concerns with the surgeon before the procedure to benefit from customized treatment.
- Know your options – Technological advancements have expanded the options of liposuction procedures and improved the safety and quality of outcomes. There are various body contouring options like ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL), laser-assisted liposuction (LAL), RFAL (radiofrequency-assisted lipolysis) and VASER-assisted liposuction (VAL). Smartlipo in NYC is a laser-assisted option that is popular for its safety and efficacy. After discuss these various options, the surgeon will guide the patient in choosing the one that will provide the best results.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle – Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is very important to experience the best results. Continue your diet and exercise regimen after the surgery to help maintain your new shape. Eat more fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Make sure to avoid (or at least severely limit) carb-heavy, processed, and sugary foods.
- Maintain a healthy body weight – It is important to keep body weight at a healthy level, as close to your ideal weight, as possible, before undergoing the procedure. As liposuction removes fat cells from the problem area, so if patients gain or lose large amounts of weight after the surgery, their body silhouette may not appear the way they desire.
- Discuss medications taken – Before surgery, inform your surgeon about all medications and supplements you are taking and know which ones have to be discontinued. Products such as aspirin, vitamin E and some herbal products can slow blood clotting and increase the chances of bleeding during surgery.
- Follow your plastic surgeon’s post-operative directions – Following the surgeon’s post-operative instructions correctly will help reduce the risk of complications after the procedure. Patients need to wear the compression garment as advised after surgery as this will help reduce swelling and help skin to contract and heal. Following the surgeon’s recommendations on activity after the treatment is important. Generally, moderate physical activity like light walking (within the first two weeks after surgery) can help fluid drain from the surgical site and prevent complications after the procedure.
- Hesitate to ask questions – Patients should never hesitate to ask surgeon questions or clarify things that they have not understood (whether before or after the procedure). All aspects of the procedure like potential risks and complications, duration of the procedure, post-operative care tips, and risks of infection, should be discussed. This will help patients take an informed decision as to whether to go ahead or not.
- Engage in strenuous activities soon after the procedure – While it is important to move around after surgery, patients should not perform strenuous activities. It is important to follow plastic surgeon’s advice regarding exercise. Patients should not lift heavy objects, bend over the waist or perform vigorous physical exercises for at least three to four weeks following the surgery as this can cause discomfort and have a negative effect on the overall healing process. It is better to resume activities slowly starting with low-intensity and lower-body exercises.
- Drink or smoke – Patients should avoid drinking alcohol or smoking during the recovery phase as this will slows the rate of body healing and also increase risk of complications.
- Expect instant results – Don’t expect to look “skinny” the same day after surgery. The final result will visible only after few months. Wait a few days for the swelling to reduce and for the compression garments to be removed before assessing your new look. Keep in mind that the skin will continue to shrink over the area for up to a few weeks after the procedure.
- Assume all areas are treatable – The most popular areas for lipolysis are the neck, chest, arms, waist, hips, abdomen, buttocks, thighs, knees and ankles. But don’t assume that all body areas can be treated with liposuction, Your plastic surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for a particular procedure.
Women undergoing the procedure should not plan to get pregnant quickly after their surgery. This can result in weight fluctuations that will possibly alter the results.
Generally, the final results of liposuction treatment will become fully visible within 6 months after the procedure or after the body gets completely healed, though this could vary depending on individual considerations. If you are considering liposuction in NYC, following the above listed recommendations can promote a comfortable and successful surgical experience, and long-lasting results.