Everyone wants a well-shaped body, but stubborn pockets of fat in various areas make it impossible for most people to achieve their goal. Regular exercise and switching to a healthy diet are the best way to shed that excess fat, but unfortunately these strategies don’t work always and for everyone. In such circumstances, liposuction could be an ideal option. Liposuction in Manhattan allows men and women to get rid of unwanted fat and get a trimmer, attractive physique. Despite its growing popularity, many prospective patients don’t know much about the procedure. Here are the answers to frequently asked questions about this treatment:
- What is liposuction?Liposuction is a simple procedure that improves the shape of your body by removing unwanted or excess fat cells. In 2018, it was the second most popular cosmetic procedure in the United States, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Liposuction is performed using advanced technologies like laser-assisted Smartlipo Triplex. In addition to its ability to remove stubborn fat pockets, laser liposuction can also tighten the body. Expert surgeons provide patients with customized treatment and results.
- What are the different types of liposuction procedures?The three basic categories of liposuction procedures are: Tumescent Liposuction, Laser Liposuction, and Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction. Of these, Smartlipo has emerged as a popular option for the many benefits it offers.
- What does Smartlipo liposuction involve?This minimally-invasive body contouring technique uses a powerful laser-enabled cannula to melt targeted fat and tighten the skin. Performed using the FDA-approved Smartlipo Triplex workstation, laser liposuction in Manhattan liquefies the excess fat, allowing it to be safely removed from the body without causing much discomfort or pain. It also firms the skin. The procedure involves making small incisions in the skin and inserting the Smartlipo cannula into the fat pocket. Laser energy is delivered to melt the fat which is then suctioned out. In leading NYC surgical practices, laser lipolysis is performed as an outpatient procedure under local anesthesia. Patients typically go home the same day as the surgery.
- Which body areas can liposuction address?This safe and effective procedure can literally treat almost all areas of the body, but the 5 spots where liposuction can prove most effective are the abdomen, hips and waist, love handles, outer and inner thighs and buttocks.
- Can you lose weight through liposuction?Even though liposuction trims and tones the body, it is not a weight-loss method”. You should not expect to lose a significant amount of weight with liposuction. However, since fat is removed from important areas, liposuction can produce significant improvements in your overall appearance.
Neither conventional nor minimally-invasive liposuction is a weight loss solution. There are guidelines as to the amount of fat that can be safely removed from the body using liposuction. Patients can ask their plastic surgeon about the amount of fat that can be removed in their specific case.
- What are the other things liposuction cannot do?Liposuction cannot help with stretch marks, dimpling, cellulite, or other skin surface irregularities. It can only reduce the amount of fat pushing out against the skin. Conventional liposuction can eliminate those stubborn fat cells deposits, but could leave you with saggy skin and prevent you from achieving your body contouring goals. While laser liposuction removes fat and also tightens the skin, having good skin elasticity is important for optimal results.
- Does the procedure leave scars?As the Smartlipo cannula is a small instrument, only small incisions are placed in the skin. As a result, stitches are usually not necessary and the incisions heal quickly. Scarring after laser lipo is minimal. Plastic surgeons place incisions in locations that will minimize the appearance of scarring.
- Who is a good candidate for liposuction?To be an ideal candidate for liposuction surgery, you should be healthy, not have any serious medical conditions, be a non-smoker, and have realistic expectations. A person with a medical history of cardiovascular illness or hypertension should not have the treatment unless they get medical clearance.
- How do I prepare for liposuction?You need to prepare your body and mind for liposuction:
- Do some detailed research about the procedure
- Understand its benefits and limitations
- Lose weight if you need to
- Get a physical exam
- Discuss your medications with your surgeon
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Take adequate time off work
- Prepare for recovery
- What results can I expect?Results vary from person to person. Recovery following minimally invasive liposuction is much quicker than with invasive surgery. You can resume routine activity in one to two days. However, you will be advised to wear a post-surgical garment for one to two weeks to help with the healing process. Though the treatment involves a small incision, some pain, swelling and bruising can be expected after the procedure. Taking the prescribed medication can reduce the pain.
- How can I find a good liposuction surgeon?If you are considering liposuction in Manhattan, you need to find an experienced surgeon you can trust completely and who can provide the best outcomes. These tips can help you choose the right liposuction surgeon:
- Choose a surgeon who is an expert in performing the specific procedure you want
- Ask the surgeon detailed questions such as: Do you typically treat patients like me? Who will administer and monitor sedation? What results can I expect? What do you do to avoid complications or correct them if they occur?
- See if you are comfortable discussing your concerns with the surgeon and that he/she has provided satisfactory answers to your questions.
- View before and after photos of the surgeon’s patients who underwent the procedure you are considering.
- Talking to previous patients about their experience and results will also help you get an idea about the surgeon.
- What does a “retouch” after liposuction mean?It can happen that, even after detailed planning, a liposuction surgery might not provide the desired results. If this happens, the plastic surgeon may recommend a “retouch” to correct the problem. The only way to do a retouch is with more liposuction. Minimally-invasive Smartlipo Triplex is a good way to do a touch-up if there are only small areas to treat. Additional liposuction can be performed in the office under local anesthesia.
If you think liposuction will work for you, schedule a consultation with a well-trained and experienced liposuction surgeon in Manhattan. The right surgeon will provide you with a customized treatment plan and help you achieve attractive, natural-looking results. In addition to safe and effective liposuction treatment, surgeons in leading AAAASF-accredited practices also offer weight management programs to help their patients maintain the excellent results.