A “belly pooch” or a protruding tummy is one of the main aesthetic issues that men and women face. Aging, genetics, hormonal imbalances, pregnancy, weight gain and poor diet are the common reasons for the build-up of stubborn fat in the abdominal area. Fortunately, abdominal liposuction in Manhattan has emerged as an ideal option to address this concern. The procedure removes unwanted fat and skin around the abdominal area and results in a slimmer, well-shaped midsection. Swelling is a common side effect of stomach liposuction and one question most patients ask their plastic surgeon is how long it will persist.
Generally, the extent of swelling and inflammation after abdominal liposuction in Manhattan will depend on the nature of the procedure and the technique used. When Smartlipo technique is used, the swelling is expected to start goes down by the end of the first week. Patients will be asked to wear a compression garment to reduce swelling and discomfort and support recovery. The compression garment should work until week four or as otherwise directed. Some swelling may last for as long as six weeks, but most patients return to work within a few days. A more toned and slimmer abdomen or tummy will be revealed after the swelling goes down, and you can expect the results to improve with time.
Swelling after any plastic surgery procedure is common and completely normal unless left untreated or not taken care of. You should only worry about excessive swelling, as it can lead to unwanted complications that delay recovery.
Things to do to avoid or reduce excessive swelling and discomfort after abdominal liposuction in Manhattan:
- Follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions diligently
- Keep the treatment site clean
- Take the prescribed medications to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation
- Avoid any medications and supplements (as advised) that can interfere with recovery
- Stay hydrated and eat healthy. Focus on eating a healthy low sodium diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables. Also include eggs and yogurt in your diet as they are excellent sources of vitamin K which is a great component to reduce swelling.
- Avoid over-exertion or strenuous activities for the first few weeks. Though light walking is recommended after surgery, don’t overdo it.
- Get lymphatic drainage massage from a licensed therapist
- Quit smoking several weeks before and after surgery as it will increase the risk of swelling and other post-surgical complications, and slow wound healing.
- Avoid drinking alcohol both before and after the procedure as it can aggravate swelling/inflammation.
- Stay away from heat sources during the recovery period, as heat can make the swelling more prominent. Avoid spending time outdoors, using heat lamps, and taking hot showers during the recovery period.
- Apply ice packs to the treatment site, but not directly on your skin. Cool compresses heal soft tissue injuries as these constrict the blood vessels, and help alleviate discomfort and speed up recovery.
- As a rule, keep your incisions elevated to allow fluids to drain away from the wound area for the first week after surgery. Also, constantly check for infections and seroma formation around the treated area.
Each patient heals at a different rate. Though post-surgical swelling is part of the normal healing process, constantly check for infection and seroma formation and inform your surgeon immediately if swelling or other side effects get worse.
If you are considering abdominal liposuction in Manhattan, find an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility that has surgeons with expertise in the procedure. Having the procedure performed by an experienced and skilled surgeon is vital to minimize side effects. The right guidance is very important with regard to Smartlipo abdominal liposuction as with any other cosmetic surgical procedure.