The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ISAPS) performed a survey of the cosmetic procedures performed worldwide last year. The survey participants completed a two-page questionnaire that studied the procedures based on a number of factors such as the most popular ones, country-wise popularity, category-wise positions and so on. Liposuction emerged as the second most popular cosmetic surgery in the world next to breast augmentation which continued to top the list. Interestingly, while considering the country-wise popularity, USA took the top spot for the maximum number of liposuction procedures performed in 2013.
A number of celebrities have undergone the liposuction procedure. And the long list includes Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba, Beyonce Knowles, Mariah Carey and others.
Other interesting statistics on the popularity of this treatment as covered in the survey include the following.
- 235,814 liposuction procedures were performed in the USA last year which covered about 14.6% of the total procedures.
- Brazil was the next in the list with 227,896 procedures covering 14.1% of the total followed by Mexico with 62,713 treatments, which is 3.9% of the total.
- On the whole, a total of 1,614,031 lipo procedures were performed worldwide which was about 13.9% of the total.
- When considering lipo treatments for women, 1,385,883 females underwent this procedure, which covered 85.9% of the total. Interestingly, lipo took the second spot for the most popular procedures for women.
- 228,148 males underwent lipo last year worldwide which covered 14.1% of the total treatments. It was the 4th in the list of the most popular male procedures.
There is no doubt that liposuction treatments are popular worldwide, both among men and women. Factors such as safety of the procedures, minimally invasive options available such as laser liposuction, minimal downtime and so on have contributed towards the popularity of the procedure. It is widely accepted as one of the best body contouring solutions, and when provided by a board-certified plastic surgeon at an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility it offers the best results. People looking to get rid of the excess body fat that has proven resistant to dieting and exercise attempts can definitely opt for this procedure. Reputable plastic surgery facilities offer bridal liposuction packages that are designed to make brides look their best on their important day.