In NYC, liposuction is the most commonly performed body contouring procedure among men and women. With advanced techniques like Smartlipo Triplex, liposuction can now be performed using laser technology, which is minimally invasive. According to the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons), liposuction procedures in 2016 increased up to 6% from the previous year.
Liposuction surgery helps to get rid of the stubborn fat that remains after diet and exercises. Laser-assisted liposuction gently and quickly removes this excess fat by liquefying it ensuring effective outcome and greater patient safety. Not everyone can undergo this procedure; you need to be within your ideal weight with fat accumulation in specific body parts to experience optimal results.
Any type of surgery has its own risks, so it’s important to make sure that you are informed regarding all aspects of the procedure because many people have misleading information gathered from various sources. Your plastic surgeon is of course the best source for reliable information.
Here are some of the common misconceptions people have about the procedure:
- Liposuction is a weight loss program: No, it’s not a weight loss solution. This minimally invasive technique can only remove localized fat that is resistant to diet and exercises and improve the overall contour of your body. Obese patients are not ideal candidates.
- Liposuction can be performed in any plastic surgery center: This is not true. It’s very important that you undergo your lipo procedure at an AAAASF- accredited facility for safer treatment and effective outcome.
- Liposuction is a good option to remove cellulite: It’s not a solution for cellulite removal. Cellulite is the fat below the surface of the skin, which looks bumpy and uneven. A liposuction procedure might make your cellulite less visible.
- If you are sixty you can’t undergo this surgery: Being in your 60s doesn’t mean you are too old for liposuction. You can have this procedure if you have good skin tone, ideal weight, and you are healthy and medically fit.
- Only women can benefit from this procedure: Women undergo this procedure more than men – that’s a fact. But liposuction benefits men also. Men usually choose this treatment for a trimmer abdomen and a sculpted body. They also undergo hi-def liposuction surgery which provides them with the much coveted six pack and masculine body without going to the gym.
- It’s a risky procedure: No cosmetic surgery is risk free. But having the surgery done by an experienced and skilled doctor reduces the risk.
- Eat whatever you want, the results remain permanent forever: This is a misconception. Make sure to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you want your results to last long. If you do not follow a good diet and exercise program as advised by your plastic surgeon, then it would be a waste of time and money as the results could be compromised.
Now that you know some major facts about this procedure you can decide if the procedure is a good choice for you. Understand that consultation with a good plastic surgeon is the first step you need to take. Choose an experienced surgeon, and listen carefully to what he/she advises you. In NYC, liposuction can be performed at an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility that provides thousands of such procedures every year. This will ensure you optimal outcomes.