Liposuction removes unwanted fat from various areas and helps men and women achieve an attractive, toned body. Body liposuction is the ideal option when diet and exercise fail to produce the results you want. According to the 2017 annual statistics report of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), liposuction ranked second among the five top procedures, and saw a 5% increase from 2016. Today, advanced technologies such as Smartlipo Triplex have made liposuction a minimally invasive treatment, avoiding the side effects and downtime associated with traditional liposuction surgery.
Though the safety and efficacy of Smartlipo Triplex laser liposuction is well-established, people considering the procedure usually have many questions regarding what to expect post-procedure. Here are the most commonly asked questions about this liposuction treatment:
- Will there be any pain after liposuction?Generally, traditional liposuction patients suffer more pain than Smartlipo patients. Laser liposuction is minimally-invasive and requires only local anesthesia. According to liposuction.com, “the intensity of pain immediately after liposuction is quite mild when local anesthesia is used because of the persistence of the local anesthetic effect”. Moreover, if your procedure is performed by a surgeon who is skilled in using Smartlipo technology, you can expect to experience only a minimal amount of discomfort.
As a rule, the amount of pain after liposuction would vary from person to person, depending on individual considerations. If you have Smartlipo, you might need to wait a few days before returning to work, because though the treatment involves only small incisions, some pain, swelling and bruising can be expected after the procedure. To manage any pain and reduce risks of infection, you should take the medication that your surgeon prescribes.
- How long should I take the pain medications?Unlike the traditional procedure, laser lipo involves only minimal pain. You may feel a little sore for a week and will be advised to take pain medication only for a few days.
- Is it possible to see results soon after the procedure?The actual results of liposuction will not be visible immediately after the procedure because liposuction can cause significant swelling. In most cases, outcomes are visible within a week following the treatment, and will continue to improve for up to six months. Following your surgeon’s post-op care instructions can minimize swelling and help you heal quickly. This would typically include wearing a compression garment for four to six weeks after your procedure.
- For how long would I have to use the compression garment?Compression garments are usually worn till fluid drainage stops. Generally, your surgeon will recommend that you wear the compression garment 24×7 for the first 3 weeks. After that, you may have to wear it only at night for another 3 weeks.
- Does liposuction cause scars?Yes, it is quite normal for a person to have scars following liposuction treatment even when a minimally-invasive laser-assisted technique such as Smartlipo Triplex is used. However, the appearance and intensity of scaring after laser lipo is minimal when compared to traditional liposuction and will fade overtime.
- How much fat can liposuction remove?According to Smart Beauty Guide, most plastic surgeons consider a total of 5 liters of fat as a safe and reasonable volume to remove at one time. There is a limit to how much fat can be removed in liposuction provided as an outpatient procedure. Liposuction is not a weight loss treatment and patients who expect large weight reduction are not considered good candidates.
- How many clothing sizes can you expect to go down?This is impossible to predict in advance and results would vary on a case-by-case basis. Liposuction is a contouring tool that removes the fat under the skin to allow the skin to drape closer to the underlying muscles. For some patients, dress size would stay exactly the same, but others will find that their clothes fit much better.
- Will I need further lipo treatments?Most patients achieve their goals with one single treatment, provided there are no complications. However, a healthy lifestyle is crucial to maintain the results.
Reliable NYC liposuction surgeons provide customized liposuction treatment. Following your surgeon’s instructions carefully can promote smooth recovery and optimal results.