What to Expect Before and After Liposuction
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgical procedure in which the plastic surgeon uses a special device to remove stubborn fat from various areas of the body. At Park Avenue Smart Lipo, skilled plastic surgeons use the safe and effective minimally-invasive Smartlipo Triplex laser workstation to remove diet and exercise resistant fat and sculpt the body to an ideal shape. The device comes with a small cannula that delivers laser energy to melt unwanted fat so that it can be easily suctioned out. It also tightens the skin for smoother results.
Body contouring at our plastic surgery practice in Manhattan comes with many benefits like minimal pain and reduced downtime. Knowing what to expect before and after liposuction is important to be well prepared.
Before the Procedure
- You may be asked to have some lab tests or a medical evaluation about two weeks before the procedure. Your surgeon will review your results and medical records to make sure you are fit for the treatment.
- You will be prescribed certain medications – ensure that you take them as instructed. You will be also advised to adjust/stop medications that you are taking. For instance, you should not take aspirin, medications that contain aspirin, ibuprofen or anti-inflammatory drugs,herbal supplements or vitamin E two weeks before your procedure as they can increase bleeding.
- You will be advised to stay off alcohol and smoking for a certain period before and after your procedure. Not smoking is important for quicker healing.
- Prepare your home for post-op recovery by keeping things you need handy and stocking up on food and other essentials.
- Arrange for someone to drive you to and from the surgeon’s office on the day of the procedure. Arrange for a caregiver to help with the initial dressing changes for about 12 hours after the procedure, and also for someone to stay with you on the night after the surgery.
- Absorbent pads are used for dressing changes to absorb the drainage from the incision sites. So have these feminine pads ready.
- On the day prior to the surgery, you will have an appointment to discuss the procedure and other relevant matters. You will be asked to sign consent forms giving your surgeon permission to perform the procedure.
On the Day of the Surgery
- Shower with soap and water. Don’t use moisturizer, body lotion or makeup.
- Have a well-balanced moderate breakfast. Avoid coffee.
- Wear comfortable clothes - preferably dark sweaters - and socks.
- Wear glasses and not contact lenses.
- Take your prescriptions medications with you and reach the office on time.
After the Procedure -
Ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your recovery period. Here are some things you should know:
- After liposuction, you will be asked to wear a compression garment or elastic bandages to cover the treatment areas. This will reduce swelling and compress the skin.
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions on caring for the surgical site, medications to apply and take orally, and improving your general health.
- Keep your scheduled follow-up appointment.
- If you notice anything unusual at the surgical site or with your general health, contact the surgeon’s office immediately.
- Activity such as moderate to fast walking, stretching, and light exercises can be started slowly, based on how quickly you recover. Minimally-invasive liposuction generally involves less time to get back to normal activity.
Park Avenue Smart Lipo is a fully AAAASF-accredited state-of-the-art surgical facility. We take all measures necessary to ensure that our patients have a safe, comfortable and productive liposuction experience. If you have any questions about the procedure or wish to discuss your specific needs, call 1-888-869-2762.