Cosmetic surgery is more popular than ever at present and it has continued growing in popularity among individuals since the time it was introduced. Certain important factors have to be taken into account when determining the eligibility of a candidate for a plastic/cosmetic surgery procedure. One among those important considerations is age and here we discuss its associated aspects. Middle-aged people are usually eligible candidates. More detailed evaluation becomes necessary when it comes to teenagers and the elderly.
Two important questions that count with regard to the age aspect are how young is too young and how old is too old.
When considering the case of teenagers,
- The emphasis is on their physical and emotional maturity.
- When we say physical maturity, it means that the specific body part needs to be completely developed. Or else the surgery results go in vain when the feature continues to develop. There is also the concern that the procedure may affect the normal growth of the feature.
In the case of the elderly, the case is different.
- The health status of older people is a matter of concern, the question being whether they can withstand any stress/strain/complications that could arise. Most of them may be having diverse medical conditions which may seriously hamper the efficiency of the treatment and more importantly affect the recovery.
- The chances of complications are also more in the case of senior individuals.
- For procedures such as liposuction, the skin tone must be good enough to bounce back to normal after the procedure, which may be tough in the case of the elderly.
However, age won’t be a barrier in the case of older adults, if they are found completely fit for the treatment. There may be individuals whose health status is good enough to undertake any treatments just as younger people.
In the case of teenage cosmetic surgery, experts recommend the treatment if it can make a positive impact on the candidate’s physical and emotional development, provided surgeons wisely select the candidates. In all cases, choosing the right surgeon really matters as there can be rare complications which could be handled only by a skilled and experienced surgeon. Such surgeons would make sure that candidates take an informed decision and provide personalized solutions most suitable for each patient.
According to the 2013 statistics report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, teenage procedures provided for 13-19 age group made up 4% of the total cosmetic surgery procedures and procedures for those over 55 years made up 24%.