Gynecomastia or abnormal enlargement of breast tissue is a common condition among men that can impair self-confidence and affect their quality of life. Excess fatty and glandular tissue in the chest area can be caused by several factors such as hormonal imbalance, genetic traits, and obesity. Though the condition may not pose any serious health issues, it can cause embarrassment, anxiety and stress. Fortunately, gynecomastia treatment in Manhattan, NYC can address this concern effectively. Performed using the minimally invasive Smartlipo Triplex laser-assisted device, the procedure removes the excess fat and tissue in the male chest and results in a well-contoured, manly physique. Being a minimally invasive technique, Smartlipo involves minimal downtime and recovery.
Key Benefits of the Procedure
One of the major benefits of this body contouring procedure is that laser coagulates the small blood vessels to minimize bleeding, swelling and bruising. The Smartlipo Triplex workstation uses an optimal blend of three laser wavelengths (1440nm, 1320 nm, and 1064 nm) to liquefy the fat cells and tighten the chest skin safely and effectively. Its three intelligent delivery systems SmartSense™, ThermaView™ and ThermaGuide™ deliver the laser energy in the right proportion and prevent overtreatment. Other benefits of laser liposuction in New York City include –
- Reduced risk of complications
- Procedure performed on an outpatient basis
- Negligible scarring
- Minimal downtime and recovery
- Involves only local anesthesia
- Faster recovery period
Not everyone is a good candidate for gynecomastia treatment. Those who are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large, whose breast development has stabilized, whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments can consider the treatment. Men experiencing constant fluctuations in body weight or who are very overweight or obese with a BMI of over 30 may not be good candidates for this procedure. The procedure is not recommended for people with multiple medical conditions or those who are on blood-thinning medications.
Pre- and Post-Operative Care Instructions
As with any other surgical procedure, it is important for patients to remain extra careful during the recovery period for safe recovery and optimal results. Following the pre- and post-operative care tips discussed below can help speed recovery –
Before the Procedure
- Get all the mandatory pre-operative tests and physical examination.
- Remove body hair around the chest and under-arms completely 2-6 weeks prior to the procedure.
- Inform your plastic surgeon about all the medications used for two weeks before the surgery. Avoid herbal supplements and other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for at least one week prior to surgery.
- Avoid sun tanning starting 2 weeks prior to surgery as doing so may increase the risk of permanent scarring.
- Avoid smoking for at least 4 weeks before the treatment.
- Do not eat/drink 6 hours before surgery.
After the Procedure
- Wear the compression garment for at least one month to minimize swelling and improve blood circulation.
- Strenuous activities like lifting heavy weight or exerting more physical stress (especially during the first two weeks after surgery) need to be avoided.
- The surgeon may recommend light walking to minimize swelling and reduce the chances of blood clotting.
- Take the prescribed pain medications, but do not use product containing aspirin- for at least one week.
- Patients need to avoid sleeping on their stomach for at least three weeks. The surgical incisions should not be subjected to excessive force, swelling or motion during the healing period.
- Avoid driving for the first 24 hours after the procedure.
- Routine activities can be resumed after 48 hours and light exercise after one week or when you feel comfortable.
- Smoking and alcohol need to be avoided for a few more weeks post-op as such activities may prolong healing time and can increase risk of complications.
- Avoid exposing the scars to sun for at least 12 months.
- Keep the incisions clean and inspect daily for signs of infection. If you notice anything abnormal, inform your plastic surgeon. In case of any other discomfort like – shortness of breath, chest pain or an unusual heartbeat, seek medical attention immediately.
Recovery time for the procedure would vary from patient to patient depending on individual considerations.
Men considering gynecomastia treatment in Manhattan, NYC, need to choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility that offers the services of a Manhattan liposuction surgeon with experience in using Smartlipo to provide male breast reduction or gynecomastia treatment. A skilled plastic surgeon will evaluate patient concerns and provide customized treatment to help them achieve a flatter, firmer masculine-looking chest.