Swelling is a normal, temporary part of healing after any surgery – whether it’s invasive or minimally-invasive. For instance, facial liposuction for women in NYC, whether performed using minimally invasive Smartlipo or conventional surgical techniques will involve some swelling during the first few days or weeks. But how long will the swelling last after facial liposuction?
Swelling after liposuction surgery is caused by inflammation and a build-up of lymphatic fluids. The extent of swelling and inflammation will depend on the technique used and how well you manage the post-op phase and follow your surgeon’s instructions.
Though facial liposuction in Manhattan, NYC is a minimally-invasive procedure, it does involve post-operative complications such as bruising and swelling, though far less than traditional liposuction. Generally, laser lipo patients can expect swelling to appear one to two days after surgery and increase for up to two weeks. In most cases, the symptoms are mild and any swelling will resolve on their own. Following your surgeon’s post-operative instructions diligently can minimize any post-op trauma. Here are some tips to reduce swelling and discomfort after facial liposuction:
- Wear the compression garment or a chin strap.
- Keep the treatment sites clean and covered.
- Take the prescribed pain medications to deal with the pain and discomfort.
- Avoid medications, vitamins and supplements that can interfere with recovery.
- Stay hydrated.
- Eat healthy.
- Avoid salty foods.
- Avoid over-exertion or strenuous activities for the first few weeks after the facial liposuction surgery.
- While sleeping, expert surgeons recommend elevating the head, so that any unnecessary pressure and excess blood can flow away from the site.
- Apply cool compresses on treatment site as it might heal soft tissue injuries, helps alleviate discomfort and speeds up recovery.
- Quit smoking as it would increase the risk of swelling or other post-surgical complications.
- Avoid drinking alcohol both before and after the procedure as it aggravate swelling/inflammation.
- Follow your surgeon’s pre-operative instructions on optimizing health and blood pressure well in advance of the surgery.
- Avoid spending time outdoors, using heat lamps, taking hot showers and stay away from heat sources during the recovery period, as heat can make swelling more prominent.
- If you notice anything unusual – such as any signs of infection – contact your surgeon immediately.
Talk to your surgeon about your post-operative care and plan things accordingly. Having a proper plan in place can help overcome any discomfort and reduce risk of complications associated with the procedure. Though recovery time is shorter for laser liposuction than traditional lipo, following your surgeon’s recommendations diligently is the key to managing swelling/inflammation and promoting smooth recovery.
Recovery after facial liposuction would also depend on whether you had other procedures performed at the same time. Recovery is more straightforward when facial liposuction is performed on its own.
It’s also important to note that recovery time would vary among patients based on individual considerations. Make sure you don’t miss your follow-up appointments. Follow-up is crucial to ensure that your surgical incisions are healing properly and there aren’t any complications or abnormalities.
Smartlipo facial liposuction for women in NYC is performed on an outpatient basis using local anesthesia, and comes with minimal surgical trauma. Patients remain awake throughout the procedure and can usually go home the same day. The incisions are placed within the natural folds of the face, under the jawline, or the chin, and once healed, they virtually unnoticeable.
Final results will become visible within six months or after the treated area has completely healed. However, weight gain after the procedure can affect the procedure results, so it’s important to maintain a healthy lifestyle to preserve your results.
If you are considering facial liposuction in Manhattan, NYC, choose a reliable AAAASF-accredited facility that offers the service of surgeons who are experts in using Smartlipo technology. A well-trained liposuction surgeon will evaluate your concerns and provide customized treatment to help you achieve your aesthetic goals. They will also provide guidance on how to decrease swelling after the treatment, which will promote smoother recovery and optimal results.