Liposuction in NYC is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure among both men and women. It gets rid of stubborn fat deposits and helps you achieve a well-shaped body. However, as with any surgical procedure, proper post-op care is very important to recover smoothly after liposuction.
Many people who have liposuction are unaware about the significance of post-operative care. Planning well ahead for the post-operative period can help you easily overcome any discomfort associated with the procedure. Good after care is crucial to:
- Ensure smooth retraction of skin
- Remove fluids
- Reduce swelling and bruising
- Accelerate recovery
- Prevent infections
Post-op care would depend upon the type of procedure you have undergone. If you had traditional liposuction surgery, you may require arranging assistance for at least few weeks. You may need a caregiver to help tend your wounds, prepare food, keep you clean, and support you while you move around. Therefore you should make sure that you ask your surgeon how long recovery normally takes so that you can plan for it appropriately. If you have Smartlipo laser liposuction, you can expect the recovery time to be shorter.
Here are some important points to know about recovery after liposuction treatment:
- Get adequate rest and sleep.
- Having an assistance or caregiver during the immediate post-op period would help with meals, hygiene and potential emergencies.
- Inflammation, swelling, and soreness are expected consequences of liposuction and will ease gradually.
- Drink adequate amounts of water and fresh fruit juices to prevent dehydration. Lemon water can cleanse the body and reduce swelling.
- Patients are advised not to drink alcohol for a minimum 48 hours before the surgery and 48 hours after the surgery.
- Quit smoking before and two weeks after surgery as smoking impairs the healing and increases the risk of complication. Nicotine reduces blood flow to the skin and can cause significant complications during healing.
- Compression or recovery garments should be used after the procedure, as instructed by the surgeon. These garments support the surgery area and help circulation.
- Avoid strenuous activities for the first few days after surgery. Most people can return to a desk job within one to two days after surgery, though soreness and fatigue can persist for several days.
- Do not apply ice-packs or a heating pad to skin overlying the areas treated by this procedure.
- Take the pain medications prescribed by your surgeon.
- Check yourself after your treatment for any signs of infection and contact your surgeon immediately if you notice anything unusual.
Minimally invasive laser liposuction involves only minor bruising and swelling, which will typically subside in few days or weeks. However, based on individual considerations, recovery time would be different for each individual. Therapeutic massage may be helpful to speed the healing process. Make sure that you don’t miss your follow-up appointments after surgery. Follow-up is crucial to ensure that your surgical incisions are healing properly and there aren’t any complications or abnormalities.
If you are considering liposuction in New York City, choose an AAAASF accredited plastic surgery facility that has experienced plastic surgeons. Reliable surgeons will provide personalized care and aftercare instructions to help you achieve the best results after your liposuction treatment.