With advanced technologies such as Smartlipo Triplex enhancing safety and effectiveness, liposuction has become a popular body contouring treatment. Laser liposuction helps men and women get rid of those unwanted, stubborn fat deposits from hard to treat areas and achieve a well toned body. Even with liposuction done under local anesthesia, it’s important to know what to do before and after the procedure in order to optimize the outcome.
Here are some important dos and don’ts from the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS) for tumescent liposuction with local anesthesia. This is useful information even if you are planning to have laser lipo treatment.
- Do some thorough research about the procedure before making the decision to go ahead. You need to make sure that the treatment can address your concerns and achieve your goals. Make sure the surgeon you choose is experienced in providing the treatment.
- Aim to achieve a healthy weight before the procedure. One of the conditions for candidature for liposuction is that you should be close to your ideal body weight. Remember that this is a body sculpting treatment that removes localized deposits of fat and not a weight loss treatment.
- Follow post operative instructions carefully. Listen to your surgeon’s advice on post-surgical care as this is important for a speedy recovery with minimal complications. If you are advised to wear a compression garment to reduce swelling, do so. Resume exercise and other vigorous activities only as advised.
- Don’t have unrealistic expectations about the treatment results. With laser lipo, results are often seen immediately, but complete results appear only over a few months.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your surgeon questions about the treatment during the consultation. This is important to get a complete idea on what to expect from the procedure as well as learn about the surgeon’s training and experience. You can also ask about costs.
- Don’t make your own decision on taking medication. Talk to your surgeon to know about what medications you can take before and after the procedure, and what you should avoid taking. This will help prevent complications and help speedy recovery.
Laser liposuction can treat almost all areas – the neck, chin, chest, arms, waist, hips, abdomen, buttocks, thighs, knees and ankles. However, only a reliable surgeon can tell if you are the right candidate for the treatment. The results of your body contouring procedure can be maintained only with proper exercise and a balanced, calorie-conscious diet. So don’t become complacent after the treatment!