The stomach is one of the areas where fat builds up easily and one of hardest to contour. While some people manage to achieve their aesthetic goals through diet and exercise, these strategies don’t work for most men and women. Fortunately, NYC plastic surgeons offer stomach liposuction using Smartlipo, an ideal option to remove excess fat and reshape the abdomen to result in an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Unlike conventional liposuction which is invasive and requires general anesthesia, tummy liposuction with Smartlipo is a minimally-invasive procedure performed using local anesthesia. The procedure removes subcutaneous fat that lies beneath the skin and on top of the abdominal muscle wall and simultaneously tightens the overlying skin. However, not everyone is a good candidate for the procedure. The success of the abdomen liposuction depends on certain factors.
- The plastic surgeon: Choose a plastic surgery practice that has plastic surgeons that are trained and experienced in performing abdominal liposuction using Smartlipo. The surgeon should be able to explain the benefits as well as risks of the surgery to you. Make sure the surgeon can provide satisfactory replies to all your questions before you go ahead with the treatment.
- The plastic surgery practice: You should ensure that the plastic surgery practice or outpatient surgical center you choose is accredited by a recognized national certifying agency, such as the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF), Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Institute for Medical Quality, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organization, State-licensed or Medicare-certified. Such practices would have a safe surgical environment, an added advantage for successful treatment.
- Realistic expectations: While liposuction is a gold standard treatment for removing stubborn fat under the skin, you should not expect to achieve the same result that a celebrity or your friend achieved. It is very important that you have realistic expectations about the outcome because the results of any type of plastic surgery depend on individual considerations. So have a clear idea about what you would like to change or improve and discuss these goals with your surgeon to understand if your goals are realistic and how you can achieve them. Moreover, you should remember that Smartlipo liposuction is a body contouring procedure and not a weight loss method. There is a limit to the amount of fat that can be removed at a time.
- Overall health: Healthy people who are close to their ideal weight but have trouble spots on tummy area are ideal candidates for stomach liposuction. People who have health issues such as diabetes, mellitus, a heart condition, poor circulation, an infection, past history of bleeding or a coagulation disorder (such as thrombophilia, should first check with their primary care physician before undergoing liposuction. Liposuction is also not recommended for people who are on medication that interferes with blood clotting (blood thinners such as aspirin, warfarin and heparin).
- Sagging Skin: Lack of skin elasticity, such as in older people, can compromise the results. If the skin is not elastic enough, it will remain baggy after the procedure. Smartlipo removes fat effectively and also can tightens the skin effectively. But if your major issue is loose skin or lax stomach muscles then liposuction alone cannot provide good results. In such situations, a tummy tuck may be recommended along with liposuction.
- Recovery and Downtime: With Smartlipo, there is less bleeding, swelling and bruising than in traditional liposuction. Patients experience only minimal scarring, pain and discomfort. The procedure is performed using local anesthesia and most patients return home the same day. While Smartlipo reduces treatment time and patient downtime and offers faster healing and quick recovery, results and recovery completely depend on the patient and extent of the operation.
- Compression garment: Surgeons advise patients to wear a compression garment all the time for three weeks after the treatment. Wearing the compression garment will help reduce swelling and minimize the risk of fluid buildup.
- Maintaining results: Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is necessary before, during and after tummy liposuction. This will promote smooth recovery, long lasting results, and make the treatment more successful. Good health helps reduce risks and supports best results. If you smoke, quit, as nicotine increases risk of complications.
The success of the abdomen liposuction depends on the factors such as age, history of weight gain and weight loss, amount and location of the fat, etc.
If you are considering Smartlipo in NYC, make sure you consult a qualified plastic surgeon in an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility. A reliable surgeon will evaluate your goals and considerations and provide individualized treatment to help you achieve optimal results.