Having overly large breasts can affect a woman’s health, emotional well-being and lifestyle. Liposuction breast reduction or reduction mammaplasty is a popular plastic surgery procedure that addresses this concern. The procedure involves removing excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin to create a bust line that more proportionate with the rest of the body. The latest annual report of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) reveals that breast reduction increased by 11% in 2017, after a decline of 4% in 2016 from the previous year. Breast reduction offers both aesthetic and functional benefits, and can be performed using minimally-invasive liposuction technology. There are some things that women considering the procedure should know:
- Breastfeeding: One might think that breast reduction would affect breast feeding ability, but that’s not true. Liposuction breast reduction using advanced techniques will not affect the ability to breastfeed because there is minimal interference with areola and no change in nipple positioning. A Reader’s Digest article cites an expert as saying, “Current breast reduction techniques preserve a significant amount of the milk-producing ducts to the nipple, thus most women are able to breastfeed after breast reduction surgery.” However, some patients experience temporary loss of nipple sensation.
- Size changes in your wardrobe: If you have an ideal BMI, but struggle with breast size, you are a good candidate for this procedure. If you are overweight, you would be advised to lose flab. Weight loss may impact your dress size. Liposuction treatment may also change your breast size, but don’t expect the change to be a drastic one. However, the procedure can help you achieve a bustline that matches your figure. As Simon Smith, Medical Director at The Harley Medical Group notes in a Cosmopolitan article, “having an image in mind of what you want to look like and sharing the vision with your doctor is a good idea. But you’ll want to be flexible when you’re imagining your cup size, because the truth is it’s very difficult to predict the cup size you’ll end up with after a reduction. When it comes to size, it isn’t as important as making sure that your new breasts are symmetrical, balanced and complement your figure.”
- Technique used: Today, NYC surgeons perform breast liposuction using the minimally invasive Smartlipo laser liposuction workstation. The technology is safe and provides effective outcomes with minimal downtime. The FDA approved Smartlipo workstation combines three laser wavelengths for effective removal of unwanted fat from the breasts. Smartlipo also comes with skin tightening effects and advantages such as negligible scarring and minimal complications.
- Scarring: Laser liposuction provides optimal outcomes without the surgical scarring involved in traditional breast reduction surgery. This is because this “scarless” breast reduction technique involves only a single small incision to insert the tiny cannula to liquefy the fat for easy removal. Any scars from the Smartlipo procedure will fade overtime.
- Recovery period: Breast reduction liposuction using Smartlipo is minimally invasive and can be performed as an outpatient procedure under local anesthesia. Downtime is minimal. Patients who have the procedure on Saturday can return home the same day and get back to work on Monday. Proper preparation before the treatment as well as following postoperative instructions is important for good results and smooth recovery after liposuction breast reduction. However, recovery time would vary from patient to patient, depending on individual considerations.
- Say ‘NO’ to some things: For smooth recovery and optimal results, stop smoking well in advance of breast reduction surgery. The nicotine and tobacco in cigarettes can affect your immune system and slow down and complicate your recovery process. Moreover, for some women, who smoke, breast reduction scars may widen over time. Patients are also advised to avoid anti-inflammatory drugs, blood-thinning medications, and herbal supplements as these substances can increase risks of bleeding during the procedure and affect the healing process.
Large breasts can place a heavy weight on the chest wall and restrict regular activities by creating back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts. Women with overly large breasts also experience self-image issues. Breast reduction surgery is a practical solution to these concerns.
To enjoy the benefits offered by liposuction breast reduction, choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility in NYC. Such facilities would have surgeons who are experts in Smartlipo body contouring. Make sure that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and educate yourself about the procedure to know what exactly will happen during and after the surgery. Reliable surgeons will evaluate your anatomical considerations and goals, and provide you with a customized solution.