Gynecomastia, the condition characterized by excess localized deposits of fat, skin and glandular tissue in the chest area, is a common concern among men. The causes of Gynecomastia range from hormonal imbalances to intake of certain medications. The condition can affect the individual’s social and emotional wellbeing. Fortunately, gynecomastia treatment or liposuction for breast reduction can provide the solution to this issue. Expert NYC plastic surgeons use the minimally invasive Smartlipo Triplex laser-assisted technique to remove the excess fat and tissue, and create a manly chest. Proper preoperative preparation can go a long way in helping candidates obtain optimal result from this procedure.
Paying attention to certain factors before you have gynecomastia treatment would help avoid unnecessary anxiety and stress. Here’s what you should know about preparing for liposuction breast reduction:
- Get the recommended medical evaluation or lab testing done prior to the procedure.
- Follow your plastic surgeon’s instructions on medications that you can and cannot take two weeks prior to treatment. Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
- Stop smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery as nicotine can impair and delay healing
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 1 week prior to surgery.
- To minimize the risk of permanent scarring, avoid sun tanning or sun bathing 2 weeks prior the procedure.
- Inform the doctor if you or any family members have had any blood coagulation problems such as bruising easily or prolonged bleeding with dental procedures.
- If you get sick or ill, contact your plastic surgeon before your gynecomastia surgery.
- The chest and under-arms should be completely shaved, but make sure you do it before two weeks of surgery, as hair removal should be avoided two weeks prior to and six weeks after the surgery.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids before and after the procedure.
- Do not eat/drink 6 hours before surgery.
- Clean the treatment area before the surgery and keep it dry. Do not apply deodorant, cream or powder to your body the day of your surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothing on the day of the procedure.
- Make arrangements for help at home during recovery period.
- Even though the laser liposuction procedure is minimally invasive, it’s better to have a person accompany you to and from surgery and stay with you for the first 24 hours following your procedure.
- Check out your prescription prior to surgery and ask your plastic surgeon if any doubt.
- Keep your compression garment ready so that you can wear as soon your surgeon advises you to do so.
- Importantly, for safe and effective gynecomastia procedure, one should choose accredited, office-based surgical facility, licensed ambulatory surgical center or a hospital.
Besides these physical preparations, candidates should be also prepared emotionally and mentally for the procedure. Also, as with any type of plastic surgery, it is important to approach gynecomastia treatment with realistic expectations. Planning ahead for the postoperative period can also help you easily overcome any discomfort associated with any procedure.
Gynecomastia surgery provides an immediate visible improvement in the shape and appearance of the chest after the surgery and the final results usually appear in 4-6 weeks. The time taken for recovery, however, would vary from patient to patient depending on individual considerations. Going by your surgeon’s instruction can promote and promote smooth and comfortable recovery after the procedure. Most patients feel ready to return to work a few days after male breast reduction, depending on the nature of their work. Male breast reduction results are generally permanent, but a healthy lifestyle is necessary to maintain the improved chest contour.
Choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility to undergo liposuction breast reduction in NYC. Such facilities would have surgeons who are experts in minimally invasive Smartlipo body contouring. Make sure that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and educate yourself about the procedure to know what exactly will happen during and after the surgery. A reliable surgeon will evaluate your condition and provide you with a customized treatment plan to achieve your goals.