No matter how much they exercise, many women tend to experience fat build-up in the upper body over the hips or the flanks, especially as they go through their middle years. Fat tends to accumulate easily around the hips due to factors such as weight gain, hormonal changes, lack of exercise and aging. These fat rolls, (also called love handles) are very difficult to address even with rigorous diet and exercise. Hip liposuction is an effective option to get rid of the excess fat and improve the body contour. Established plastic surgery practices in NYC provide hip liposuction using the minimally-invasive Smartlipo Triplex workstation.
The advanced Smartlipo workstation blends the power of three laser wavelengths – 1064 nm, 1320 nm and 1440 nm – to liquefy and remove stubborn fat and tighten the skin. By allowing the surgeon to precisely target the treatment site, this technology minimizes damage to surrounding tissues. Its intelligent delivery systems – ThermaGuide, SmartSense and ThermaView – are designed to regulate energy delivery and prevent over treatment. Laser liposuction is performed on an outpatient basis and comes with the following benefits –
- Performed under local anesthesia
- Liquefies and removes superficial fat
- Minimal pain / discomfort
- Long lasting results
- Hardly any signs of surgical intervention
- Fast paced treatment
- Short downtime and quick recovery
To qualify as a candidate for laser liposuction, you need to meet the following criteria –
- Have significant fat deposits in the hip and waist area
- Are at least 18 years old
- Are in good health
- Have realistic expectations about the surgery
- Have good skin tone and skin elasticity, with no sagging
- Have a positive outlook and specific body contouring goals
- Are close to your ideal weight
- Do not smoke
Post-operative Care Tips
Most women who undergo hip liposuction surgery are unaware about the importance of proper post-operative care. Recovery will be easier and faster if you follow your surgeon’s instructions correctly. Taking these measures can speed up the recovery process –
- Enlist help around the house during the immediate post-operative period.
- Wear the compression garment for at least the first two weeks.This will provide the necessary support, reduce swelling and help in blood circulation.
- Take rest and sleep on your stomach till the time advised by the surgeon.
- Taking the prescribed pain medications will reduce any pain or discomfort.
- Do not take any blood thinning drug or medication.
- Do not engage in strenuous activities such as running or aerobics for six weeks after the procedure. However, light walking is recommended to prevent blood clots from developing.
- Do not apply ice-packs or a heating pad to the treated area.
- Most patients return to work and other low impact activities after 48 hours of rest and recovery. However, if you have a desk job, it is advisable to take one or two more days off from work for recovery.
- Keeping the incisions dry and clean is critical to reduce the risk of infections. Avoid swimming or taking shower during the full duration of your recovery as wetting the treated area can increase the risk of infection and delay healing.
- Avoid driving for first 24 hours after surgery. Arrange for someone to drive you home.
- Drink adequate amounts of water and fresh juice to prevent dehydration.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet and limit consumption of salt, sugar and saturated fat.
- Contact your plastic surgeon immediately if you notice anything unusual, such as any signs of infection.
The time taken for recovery after hip liposuction may vary based on the amount of fat removed and other individual considerations.
If you are considering laser liposuction in NYC, choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery practice. Such facilities provide the services of skilled plastic surgeons and dedicated staff who will provide end-to-end care through treatment and recovery.