Many men and women have liposuction in summer to get rid of stubborn fat deposits and achieve a well-shaped body. Advancement in technology have made liposuction a nonsurgical procedure. Smartlipo in NYC is a minimally-invasive procedure that utilizes a small cannula featuring three unique laser wavelengths (1064nm, 1320nm, 1440nm) to remove unwanted fat and firm sagging skin. One of the common concerns that patients have is about sun exposure after Smartlipo.
Summer is the time when everybody enjoys the outdoors, leading the body to get exposed to the sun’s rays. If you have undergone liposuction treatment, you should be careful not to expose the treated area to the sunlight. According to a study published in the Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery, unnecessary exposure to the sun should be avoided after the procedure as it can cause hyperpigmentation on the treated area and the ultraviolet rays can darken the scars.
On the Realself column, plastic surgeons advise patients that before exposing the liposuction site to the sun and ocean or pool water, or sandy surfaces, they should make sure that their surgeon has examined all the incision sites and scars to see if they have healed well. Moreover, in some cases, direct sun exposure can make the post-op swelling worse. So, during your Smartlipo recovery period, protect your incisions from sun exposure to avoid any complications or risks.
Staying indoors is the best thing you can do, but that is not a feasible solution in summer. So what you can do is take some precautions. If you are planning to get Smartlipo during summer, make sure you keep these things in mind:
- Limit sun exposure, as prolonged sun exposure can result in the loose skin. If this happens, the positive effects of liposuction can also be reduced.
- Stay inside for a few weeks after your laser liposuction procedure and avoid sun-tanning until bruising has faded.
- For at least a year after surgery, cover the incision area with a combination of sunscreen, UVA and UVB waterproof, high number, and water sports clothing, to avoid hyperpigmentation.
- Use quality sunscreen to protect the skin against UV rays produced by the sun.
- Use an umbrella when you step out so that the incision area is not directly exposed to the sun.
- Be extremely careful if you have areas of reduced sensitivity.
- Proper post-operative care include skin care to recover smoothly and optimize outcomes.
Make sure that all this is well taken care and also follow the other post-operative care instructions provided by your plastic surgeon.
Laser liposuction in NYC is a safe and efficient procedure with faster recovery time than traditional liposuction. If you are considering Smartlipo in NYC, choose an AAAASF-accredited plastic surgery facility that has expert surgeons who are trained and experienced in the treatment.